Friday, February 5, 2010

Lewis Winches are the best for Duck Boats!


I own a 14 ft flat bottom that I have been slowly rigging out for Duck hunting. Mostly complete at this point but I would like a winch.

Question: Why don't I see many people with electric winches? Do I need a Lewis Winch? Most hunting will involve non-winch activities but several trips to Saginaw or St Charles can be expected. Thoughts? costs? Thanks in advance.

Drewman

---------------------------------------

No options, only the Lewis Winch. Anything else is a waste of time and money.

Gunner87

------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------

I see a lot of electric winches every year as I pass them. I even see them as I tow them in after they run their batteries dead pulling dikes and can't get their motor started because of it. I also see a lot of dead electric winches that burnt up halfway up the dike.

Moral of the storyis it's been tried. Downfall is they are slow, weak and can't take abuse. Spend double the money and have your winch pull fast, last longer and not strand you out in sub freezing temperature. Lewis Winch makes the the best winch to date, and I haven't seen anything equal or better than it yet.

Good luck with what you do and if you have any questions feel free to ask (make sure you tie your mounts to your gunnels so you don't rip your boat in half).

Shiawasseekid

------------------------------------------

I knew basically what they were but I've never used one and I haven't hunted Managed areas before so as a curious engineer I was looking these up for some info!

Are they really about $800 - 1000 new? I guess I was thinking they would be priced a little closer to a top end electric winch but as ShiKid pointed out it is a superior product in this application.

-Bob

----------------------------------------

Do you buy the Lewis Winch, then have to attach it to your own chainsaw engine?

Or can you purchase it complete?

Quakstakr

-------------------------------------------

Correct. Orange Lewis Winch is the only thing included in the purchase. You must buy a saw separate and attach. I suggest a Stihl as they have adaptor options to the winch.

Full set-up you can look to spend $1300.00 unless you can find a winch cheaper.

Shiawasseekid

-----------------------------------------

The Lewis Winch actually comes with two adaptor kits, which will fit any chainsaw. The universal adaptor kit will fit a chainsaw with an inboard sprocket. Most modern saws now have outboard sprockets and you can use the direct mount kit.

Using these supplied kits you can mount the Lewis chainsaw winch on Stihl, Husqvarna, Solo, Makita, Jonsered and most all other modern saws.

The Lewis Winch also comes with a clutch, brake and 150 feet of galvanized aircraft cable. The price on the Lewis Winch.com website is $899.00.

Lewis Winch Inc.

-----------------------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment